Monthly Archives: July 2021

Minutes of Zoom Meeting of 19th May 2021

Those present

  • Mike King
  • Sarah Moroz
  • Sheena King
  • Tony Thornby

Jhon Munoz and Ivan Cicin-Sain – hope to join later in meeting

No corrections were suggested to the minutes from 21/04/21

Bucks Climate Action Alliance

MK – 113 Conservative councillors were elected out of 147 as a result of local elections. MK went to post-election Zoom meeting. The BCAA issues were got out there and BCAA will continue – the long-term aim is to educate the public and councillors on climate change and the urgency regarding it. A number of independent candidates also got in. In MK’s ward 2 Labour candidates and a Conservative got in. Matt Knight and Steve Guy were both elected. MK/SK found out today that the new mayor of Wycombe is Andrea Baughan. She is very pro-environment and FT. MK suggests that we send a message of congratulations from the steering group and say that we look forward to working with her.

SM – agreed

MK – BCAA decided that they will need to work with all the councillors

Website/Social Media

TT – recently has been trying to keep content going – but we do have a challenge because since beginning of year the highest view was 11 views for the post re: WFF joining the BCAA. We have a lot of followers on our Facebook page but not views on the website

SM – wondering if we should advertise our next meeting date

TT – there has been an upgrade to WordPress and it has affected some of the navigation of web pages on our website. TT will try to fix it

Wycombe Council

MK – someone suggested to him that Bucks Council don’t want Wycombe to have a Town Council because of all the properties they own.

SM – perhaps we should invite Matt to our next meeting to fill us in on current situation at Bucks Council and Wycombe

MK – we could perhaps meet physically next time – either at Matt’s Cafe, Micklefield Library or Avenue church.

TT – has just Googled – there is still a town committee for Wycombe – they have a meeting on 26th May.

Treasurer’s report


SK – we had £251.75 in our account at our last meeting date. It was agreed then to give a £50 donation to the St Vincent appeal. MK paid this from his account and then we reimbursed MK from the WFF account. Hence the balance will now be £201.75.

Wycombe Sound

MK – MK and TT went on Wycombe Sound on 7th May.

SK – Claudia (their Spanish teacher) listened to it and was full of praise for this (she has done radio interviews herself)

MK – they were on for 35 mins

Wycombe Friends of the Earth

I C-S – Wycombe FOE are active in the Wycombe Environment group – a sub-group of the Wycombe Community board which is part of the council. It is led by Penelope Tollett – an ex-council officer – they have done a lot of work on a Bee Day.

Other local Fairtrade groups

I C-S – has researched most local FT groups – Windsor & Maidenhead, Henley and Chesham – perhaps we could invite their co-ordinators to part or whole of one of our meetings

SK – maybe we could have ‘guest speakers’ at some of our meetings

MK – we have had contact with Chesham, Witney and Oxford groups in the past. Oxford group are also developing international contacts.

MK – for our next meeting perhaps we could invite Matt. Thereafter invite someone from one of the other local groups.

TT – there is an environmental action group in Marlow – being led by same person who is leader of the Town Council

MK – Bucks New Uni are having problems engaging students on FT issues at the moment. Tuition has been largely on-line for last 2 terms. They don’t have a rep specifically for FT. MK has asked if such a person could be part of our steering group once they are appointed.

Places of Worship mini-team

MK – re: the e-mail from Chrysi since last meeting – there are 5 places of worship in and around Wycombe which have responded to the Fairtrade Foundation’s enquiries – but she is not able to tell us which ones as they haven’t given their permission for their data to be given out. Perhaps we need a mini-group meeting to decide our way ahead.

SM – need some clarity from Chrysi on use of portal etc

SK – noticed that St Mary and St George wasn’t on Angus’s list. Their website is Smgchurch.co.uk but there is no e-mail address. SK/MK’s neighbour, Lesley Hatton, who is a lay Methodist preacher would be able to pass information round the Methodist circuit.

MK – will contact Chrysi and try to clarify method of communication for Places of Worship who want to register/re-register.

Grecia/Coope Victoria link

MK – JM can’t make it tonight due to a work commitment. JM wanted to say re: World FT Day, that, in addition to the Wycombe Sound radio interview, JM went into various shops in Wycombe which sell FT goods and did videos for Grecia/Coope Victoria for World FT Day. On 15th May, MK, JM and SK attended an on-line meeting (in Spanish) with Grecia/Coope Victoria during which some videos were shown that Grecia/Coope Victoria have produced promoting and explaining FT. Today, MK has sent off the banner to be printed.

SK – thought the meeting was very professional. JM had sent Powerpoint presentations beforehand so they were able to go through it.

MK – they are also promoting the ‘Coope Victoria experience’, where members of the public can go to them and learn about what they do.

Schools

MK – JM’s wife has sent the e-mail to the Headteacher at Wycombe High. Waiting to hear back.

A.O.B.

SK – mentioned that it is Bob’s anniversary today. Thinking of Maggie and rest of family.

Next meeting

To be arranged

Minutes of Zoom Meeting of 21st April 2021

Those present

  • Mike King
  • Sarah Moroz
  • Sheena King
  • Ivan Cicin-Sain – Wycombe Friends of the Earth

Apologies

Jhon Munoz and Ivan Cicin-Sain hope to join for 2nd half of meeting

Gold Cup award for Coope Victoria coffee

MK –sent out the news re: Coope Victoria’s Gold Cup award to the company we are hoping will produce the Costa Rican anniversary coffee. Maria sent details of the award and MK sent these to Tony to put onto our website. MK wrote an introduction to go with it.

Social media

SM – asked re: contact section of website – what happens to any comments/messages put on there by people going onto the website?

MK – need to ask Tony. Also need to sort out rota for looking at our new public e-mail address

Costa Rican trip

MK – MK/SK planning to go to Costa Rica in October – this will coincide with the 78th anniversary of Coope Victoria becoming a co-operative.

Fairtrade Fortnight events

SM – hasn’t yet sent links round to the steering group for the 2 webinars that she attended in Fairtrade Fortnight (Bruce Crowther interview and the one organised by the Tunbridge Wells group re: the challenges of climate change for food producers) – but will do so.

Bucks Climate Action Alliance/May 6th elections

MK – Bucks Climate Action Alliance now has many members – such as the Chiltern Society (who have done a good presentation re: lowering of the water table). BCAA has encouraged people to vote on May 6th for candidates who have signed the climate pledge.

MK – wrote to 11 councillors re: climate pledge. MK has delivered BCAA leaflets to 250 households re: May 6th election. This was targeted to Amersham Common and Little Chalfont (Martin Tett’s ward). MK has also delivered 200 leaflets for the independent candidates.

SK – re: hustings on 19th April – organised by BCAA – Steve Guy (Independent) was there, also candidates for the Green Party and the Labour Party – the Conservatives were not represented but Martin Tett sent a letter outlining their position.

MK – attended a BCAA follow-up meeting last night. All the parties were wanting to collaborate. The issues are national as well as local. MK will also be helping to deliver some further leaflets. MK will send SM the link showing details of the leaflet and BCAA

Treasurer’s report

SK – Nothing has changed in our balance since last meeting (£251.75). Tony has highlighted that we should perhaps be supporting St Vincent re: the volcano eruption disaster appeal.

Perhaps we could make a donation to the St Vincent Second Generation group (SV2G) which is organising a collection. SK suggested that we could make a donation of £50 via the Just Giving page.

MK – St Vincent are very dependent on their banana crop and this has been wiped out.

MK – we haven’t had to spend anything on insurance this year, so we could perhaps make this donation. Sebert Graham is also organising some aid.

MK – although it would be good to have a link with a banana-producer country, it may be better to make contact with the Dominican Republic for this.

Banners for Grecia/Coope Victoria link

MK – has a meeting tomorrow with Maria and JM. Maria has a completed version of the 2 banners (English and Spanish). MK will send these round to the group. They look eye-catching. Tony also sent a link to a company which could produce the banner for us – could cost about £40.

I C-S joined the meeting.

Other matters/World Fairtrade Day

MK – Tony has been working on updates to the website.

IC-S – agreed with £50 donation to St Vincent fund.

MK – re: ideas for World FT Day, May 8th. Maria sent a pdf of the Gold cup event and some photos; banner is done. MK has written a report re: Kate Raworth’s webinar on circular economics.

SM – Rapanui is a clothing company which uses the circular model

MK – this system puts people and planet first. It can be used on national level as well.

SM – it would be good to have a history of our link with Grecia/Coope Victoria on our website and highlight it for World FT Day.

MK – there is a bilingual school in Grecia which may want to form links with a school in Wycombe

SM – there is info on MK’s e-mail on 27/10/20 re: the history of our link with Grecia/Coope Victoria

SK – SK/SM could put some paragraphs together on this for the website.

Churches mini-team

MK – has had an e-mail from Chrysi Dimaki giving an update on how far the FT Foundation has got with their campaign to contact churches. She will be sending any info they have on churches in HP12 and HP13, as requested by MK. Angus has had problems with Data Protection for sending out our e-mail letter to churches so it may take longer to compile details for churches in the town.

Next meeting

To be arranged

Minutes of Zoom Meeting of 16th March 2021

Those present

  • Mike King
  • Sheena King
  • Tony Thornby
  • Sarah Moroz
  • Ivan Cicin-Sain – Wycombe Friends of the Earth

Wycombe Friends of the Earth / Population Matters / Bucks Climate Action Alliance

I C-S – re: Wycombe Friends of the Earth – he has done an update recently with Steve Norton. The group have started to be more active on food waste and are expecting a talk soon by Trevor Snaith who runs the Wycombe Food Hub. I C-S is also joining the board of this as they want someone involved with climate change. The Bucks Climate Action Alliance group and others are also lobbying councillors. The other areas in which the group are currently active are fossil fuel divestment and eco organisations. The dormant campaigns are ‘Finding Greta’, schools/junior projects and work on bees and litter picking.

Population Matters group – currently dormant

MK – Wycombe for Fairtrade has now joined the Bucks Climate Action Alliance (we are the 23rd member). MK had a Zoom call with Steve Morton.

Social media

TT – Has picked out items from the feeds he gets and puts them on an automatic schedule to go on our Facebook and Twitter pages. If anyone comes across a site that TT may not be picking up, let TT know. He has detected same pattern that MK mentioned – the articles increasingly mention environment and climate change and the disproportionate effect of the pandemic on the poorer producers.

Grecia/Coope Victoria link

JM – has discussed ideas with Maria for joint activities. One of the main ones is the relationship between schools in our 2 countries. Maria is contacting schools in Grecia, in the same way that we are. JM’s wife used to work at Wycombe High –suggests we could start with this school.

MK – JM has suggested amendments to our schools letter. We could send a trial e-mail to Wycombe High. MK has the relevant e-mail addresses for the schools and the subject heads.

I C-S – found it quite hard to get contact into Wycombe High with Wycombe FOE’s ‘Finding Greta’ project. Once they know you it’s easier.

SM – could JM’s wife talk to the Headteacher to make sure they know who we are?

JM – she could do this. She left Wycombe High a couple of years ago but she should be able to do this. Schools are very busy at the moment due to the return after lockdown. Perhaps better to leave it a few weeks.

JM – hasn’t yet heard back from Maria re: the wording of the banner that we sent. He will ask.

Journal of Fair Trade article

MK – no further progress on the article for the Journal of Fair Trade but they have accepted all the diagrams in the correct format.

Treasurer’s report

SK – no change in our bank balance since our last meeting £251.75

I C-S – could we put our account details on our website in case anyone wants to donate?

MK – good idea, we should do this.

Fairtrade Fortnight

MK – all the households in Tilehurst where his father lives received a leaflet from Kingdom Coffee showing some new varieties of coffee –this happened to tie in with FT Fortnight but was also a drive for Kingdom to increase sales to individual households.
There are several pages in the latest Lidl catalogue on FT.

SM – took part in 2 FT webinars, both very good – will send links

SK – saw a very good one on the first day of FT Fortnight, chaired by Lucy Seagull of the Guardian. The Chairlady of CLAC was one of the participants. It also included Esther Stanford who is a ‘reparationist’ and Tim Lang, an academic on food security. They discussed the situation on the ground for producers due to climate change. Also the fact that lower commodity prices are not covering the cost of living and that there have been increase in costs due to Covid.

MK – he attended 4 sessions. Suggests that we each do a write up that can be put up on our website. One of the sessions discussed boosting the supply chain network and included Cheryl Pinto, a sourcing manager for Ben & Jerry’s – they are a FT certified as well as a B-Corp company. B-Corp runs parallel to a lot of FT principles.
Many of the webinars discussed climate change.

MK – was also invited to an online FT breakfast organised by Bucks New Uni. He was sent lots of FT goodies by Jade Collis. There were 15 students and MK spoke for about 30 minutes to them about what we are doing and they asked lots of questions. After Easter the students are planning a FT coffee tasting and a FT wine and cheese event.
Churches

SK – Gained a lot of orders for FT Easter eggs from people at Christ the Servant King church and raised about £190 in orders for the Meaningful Chocolate company.

MK – re: churches mini-team. Angus is leading this. MK will check with the FT Foundation which churches they will be starting with.

Other matters

MK – MK/SK still hope to visit Costa Rica mid to end of September.

JM – the 200th anniversary is on 15th September

MK – there is also the anniversary of the formation of Coope Victoria in October. Maria Angela will arrange things accordingly once dates are known.

SK –has now signed up with Traidcraft to walk 100km to raise money.

JM – the head of FT International resigned last month.

TT – re: who our contact could be in Buckinghamshire Council – this week he came across a ‘Community Board’. There is a Community Board for High Wycombe (Lesley Clarke is deputy in this) – their work covers reducing our climate footprint etc.
Also there is a Facebook page pressure group for a Wycombe Town Council.

Next meeting

To be arranged