Monthly Archives: March 2021

Minutes of Zoom Meeting of 16th February 2021

Those present

  • Mike King
  • Jhon Munoz
  • Sheena King
  • Ivan Cicin-Sain – Wycombe Friends of the Earth
  • Sarah Moroz

Apologies

Tony Thornby

Minutes

MK – The Environmental, Sustainability and Fairtrade committee meeting at Bucks New Uni did go ahead but due to technical issues. MK was unable to join. MK has the minutes though.

Wycombe FOE/Population Matters

I C-S – re: Population Matters – no updates to report at the moment.

Wycombe FOE has been fairly active – thinking of starting a food campaign (food waste angle). They are also active in the Bucks Climate Action alliance – an amalgam of about 10 local groups.

Wycombe FOE have been lobbying councillors

MK – has a list of all the current members of the Bucks Climate Action group. Sees no reason for us not to join.

SK – agrees – climate and FT are all linked. SM also agreed

MK – he will go ahead and join the alliance on-line.

I C-S – Mike Chadwick is the overall organiser of this

Website/Facebook updates

MK – on behalf of TT – TT has amended the Wycombe Environment Centre entry, removed the Wycombe Transition town entry and replaced it with Wycombe FOE details. TT has asked MK to check on details of the eco-artist listed on our site.

SK – TT has also put several recent posts on our Facebook site

Grecia/Coope Victoria link

MK – re: the banner – JM has been in contact with Maria in Grecia and they are working on the English text that we sent to them. They are also going to put a plaque up in Grecia stating that Wycombe is their sister town and want MK/SK to unveil it when they are finally able to visit. They also want us to be involved in a campaign (see later)

Journal of Fair Trade article

MK – Pauline Tiffen has got back to them to say that they are going to publish it. It is now going out to a second reviewer and they want the diagrams in a different format. TT may be able to do this. It will be in the issue after July.

Money matters

SK – our current balance is £251.75.

MK – has now printed off the public liability insurance document – it is valid up to the 31st November 2021. The FT Foundation hopes to be able to offer this again the following year.

Fairtrade Fortnight/other events

MK – 2 areas to develop for this: churches and Grecia

Churches – Angus is leading this – he has contacts with administrators in various churches. After FT Fornight, the FT Foundation is starting a campaign to see which churches are registered and still active. They are changing to an on-line database and are simplifying the procedure. We could follow this with an e-mail from Wycombe for Fairtrade. The FT Foundation is sending its e-mails out in order of the churches’ previous applications, not by area. However, MK has spoken to Chrysi Dimaki from FT Foundation and she will do a search on any particular churches we ask about. MK will be talking to Angus tomorrow.

JM – re: Coronavirus – Costa Rica is starting a vaccination plan. Maria is sending information about what Coope Victoria are planning for later in the year. JM will translate and we can put it up on our website etc. They also talked about exchange of letters between students in our 2 countries re: FT, economics etc. Suggested that we arrange a meeting between teachers of the 2 towns to discuss ideas and thus to start establishing connections

MK – has investigated the names of staff members at Wycombe High and John Hampden so far, in relevant subjects. We also need to contact the headteachers to discuss it. Environment and climate change could also be included.

JM – Maria has a school she is planning to make contact with first.

MK – Maria did say they would like to help students to improve their English. As soon as she has the contacts, she will let us know.

SM – Has received an e-mail from Mayor of Tunbridge Wells re: an event on 5th March – a webinar involving Adam Gardner from the FT Foundation, a Kenyan tea producer and a UK farmer. Will forward the e-mail on to rest of group

SK – Traidcraft Exchange are encouraging people to fundraise for them between 8th March and 7th June because any amount raised will be doubled by the government during this time. MK/SK have been sent a Big Brew guide. Also a 100km virtual walk to be completed during April to raise money – SK would like to do this. They are also hosting 3 quizzes.

Costa Rican anniversary coffee

MK – re: the potential 200th anniversary Costa Rican coffee – this may still be possible this year and our contact is hoping to progress it. It is hoped to produce a batch which mentions the Grecia/Wycombe link on its packaging.

Fairtrade Easter eggs

SK – was approached by a lady at church to ask if Christ the Servant King church were selling Real Easter eggs this year. SK has spoken to the church administrator at CSK and they are putting a notice about it in the church newsletter

Next meeting

16th March

Minutes of Zoom Meeting of 12th January 2021

Those present:

  • Mike King
  • Jhon Munoz
  • Sheena King
  • Tony Thornby
  • Sarah Moroz

Apologies

Ivan Cicin-Sain

Minutes

MK – Correction to minutes of 17/11/20 meeting – it should be Jade
Collis, not Jane.

Bucks New Uni may have an upcoming meeting in February of the Environmental, Sustainability and Fairtrade committee which MK will attend.

Draft document on trade justice and climate change

Re: draft document by I C-S

MK read out Ivan’s document

MK – The idea is to put the document onto our website in a prominent position. The importance of the trade justice/climate change link has also been discussed in a couple of recent webinars that MK/SK have joined.

No other updates to report from I C-S re: Population

Matters / Wycombe Friends of the Earth

SM – the final sentence is a source of hope that such a large
percentage of food producers in the developing world are small scale
and would be more concerned with looking after their environment

TT – we could list this as a related topic on the WFF website

Other website/media issues

MK – will check if the artisan listing on the ‘related topics’ section is still current or can be removed.

MK – has put quite a few documents onto our Gridhost site

TT – has also put quite a lot onto our Facebook page. We need to put effort into getting people to look at our content

MK – Ivan says that the Transition Town group in Wycombe has now finished so that could come off our website

TT – asked re: the Wycombe Environment Centre

SM – doesn’t think they have a building but they have a Facebook page called Ecobuzz

Grecia/High Wycombe link banner

MK – has made the suggested alterations to the banner

SM – raised the point re: use of Fair Trade as two separate words – is
this so that it makes the definition wider?

MK – yes, this is to include other groups/businesses who haven’t
certified with the FT Foundation Journal of Fair Trade article

MK – re: the article that he wrote together with Tony B plus input by Maria Angela. Have incorporated Pauline Tiffen’s suggestions and are hopeful that it will be published in an upcoming edition of the FT Journal. Would then hope to write a second article focussing on practical issues of supply chains, using material from Coope Victoria and other producer groups.

Treasurer’s report/funding

SK – re: membership fees as agreed previously – please could everyone send these in before end of Jan. The current balance is about £221

TT – looked at sources of funding with MK. Bucks Source didn’t seem possible for us. Just Giving seems to be just for registered charities but there is a site called ‘Golden Giving’ which covers non-registered charities as well. There is a charge for registering with them but it is quite reasonable and on a par with other crowd funding sites

MK – received e-mail from FT Foundation Head office to say they are offering free public liability insurance up to end of Nov 2021

There was a discussion on this and it was decided to take up on this offer

TT – the more groups who sign up for this, the more it will indicate to the FT Foundation how much need there is.

National aid budget

MK – the aid budget has been reduced from 0.7% to 0.5% GDP but
with the proviso that it will be changed back again to 0.7% after the
Covid crisis. Also the all-party parliamentary group will still have
teeth in these decisions.

Fairtrade Fortnight/churches

SK – re: FT Yorkshire are doing a community arts festival on-line with a different event each day. This would be worthwhile for us to follow. Have to register (free) via Eventbrite

MK – also would like to pursue the connections with churches for FT Fortnight. The FT Foundation (Chrysi Dimaki) has sent MK some info – a link for churches to click on to re-register their FT status. The Foundation will also be contacting all churches registered with them. We could also contact churches ourselves.

SK – Christ the Servant King church sent an e-mail before Christmas re: their links with other groups eg. Wycombe for Fairtrade, Traidcraft and asking for feedback. MK/SK wrote back and made some suggestions.

Costa Rican anniversary coffee

MK – got an e-mail from Darren of Kingdom coffee. He is still very keen on producing a coffee using Coope Victoria beans in support of the 200th anniversary. It is very difficult at the moment because cafes etc are not using so much coffee and they have to use up any coffee already in the pipeline before ordering more.

JM – most of the UK producers still have stock from last year so are not placing a lot of orders

MK – cannot really predict timings at the moment

SK – Darren was asking for suggestions for a name for the coffee.

MK – in addition to the main anniversary product, there will also be 100 bags or so with the High Wycombe/Grecia link printed on them.

Next meeting

16th February 2021 (date arranged after the meeting
ended)