Monthly Archives: October 2017

Meeting of 26th September 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 26th September 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                         Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                     Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

SM – will e-mail Claire Booth to see if she would still like to receive our minutes

MK – the Volunteer Co-ordinator and FT liaison at Bucks New Uni, Rebecca Haymer, sends her apologies

SM – the ‘Population Matters’ event went well for us and SK’s talk was extremely good

MK – the text of SK’s talk was sent to the FT Foundation as part of our renewal application. We are still waiting to hear back from the FT Foundation – should be soon.

JM – has been in contact with Marco Coscione, a member of the Latin American and Caribbean network of FT small-producers and workers (CLAC). Marco used to work for the FT Advocacy office in Brussels. JM has talked to Marco about us having contact with a producer group in the developing world

SK – we could maybe also involve the Chesham group in this contact, as we are quite small. We could share stories of our experience with retailers here and use social media to communicate.

MK – is going to the national supporters’ conference on October 7th, together with JM. It is worrying re: the Sainsbury’s decision to change to their own ‘Fairly Traded’ tea. MK feels that the way to tackle it would be to support the other retailers who are sticking with FT – Waitrose, Co-op etc. It will be good to discuss this at the conference. There has been an advert on TV for Nescafe, saying that they look after the growers but without the FT certification.

BS – the buying of FT is still down to the consumer

SM – the FT Foundation hasn’t got the financial clout of the large companies to promote their goods

SK – the fight against Sainsbury’s has been taken up by WI, Oxfam etc as well

SM – longer-term aim of support for growers is to have more of the processing taking place in the country of origin

JM – there is a company based in Dublin who have developed the processing of their coffee in the country of origin ‘Proudly Made in Africa’

MK – re: the problems we have had with public liability insurance – this could be discussed at the supporters’ conference

SM – maybe we could have some future events in council-owned buildings and see if they would waive the public liability insurance

MK – re: funding in general – perhaps we should ask Bewleys to sponsor us in some way or maybe to sponsor a flower bed in the town

JM – will ask at the conference if it is possible to arrange a speaker from a producer country

SK – it would be good to have a meeting following the conference to enable MK and JM to report back

SK – we could approach Matt Knight to ask re: the possibility of holding our presentation event in a council building and ask if we would be covered for public liability insurance

MK – it would be good to get TT’s input re: improving the website and trying to get sponsors

Next meeting:    Thursday 19th or 26th October TBC

Meeting of 26th September 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 26th September 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                         Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                     Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

SM – will e-mail Claire Booth to see if she would still like to receive our minutes

MK – the Volunteer Co-ordinator and FT liaison at Bucks New Uni, Rebecca Haymer, sends her apologies

SM – the ‘Population Matters’ event went well for us and SK’s talk was extremely good

MK – the text of SK’s talk was sent to the FT Foundation as part of our renewal application. We are still waiting to hear back from the FT Foundation – should be soon.

JM – has been in contact with Marco Coscione, a member of the Latin American and Caribbean network of FT small-producers and workers (CLAC). Marco used to work for the FT Advocacy office in Brussels. JM has talked to Marco about us having contact with a producer group in the developing world

SK – we could maybe also involve the Chesham group in this contact, as we are quite small. We could share stories of our experience with retailers here and use social media to communicate.

MK – is going to the national supporters’ conference on October 7th, together with JM. It is worrying re: the Sainsbury’s decision to change to their own ‘Fairly Traded’ tea. MK feels that the way to tackle it would be to support the other retailers who are sticking with FT – Waitrose, Co-op etc. It will be good to discuss this at the conference. There has been an advert on TV for Nescafe, saying that they look after the growers but without the FT certification.

BS – the buying of FT is still down to the consumer

SM – the FT Foundation hasn’t got the financial clout of the large companies to promote their goods

SK – the fight against Sainsbury’s has been taken up by WI, Oxfam etc as well

SM – longer-term aim of support for growers is to have more of the processing taking place in the country of origin

JM – there is a company based in Dublin who have developed the processing of their coffee in the country of origin ‘Proudly Made in Africa’

MK – re: the problems we have had with public liability insurance – this could be discussed at the supporters’ conference

SM – maybe we could have some future events in council-owned buildings and see if they would waive the public liability insurance

MK – re: funding in general – perhaps we should ask Bewleys to sponsor us in some way or maybe to sponsor a flower bed in the town

JM – will ask at the conference if it is possible to arrange a speaker from a producer country

SK – it would be good to have a meeting following the conference to enable MK and JM to report back

SK – we could approach Matt Knight to ask re: the possibility of holding our presentation event in a council building and ask if we would be covered for public liability insurance

MK – it would be good to get TT’s input re: improving the website and trying to get sponsors

Next meeting:    Thursday 19th or 26th October TBC

Meeting of 11th July 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 11th July 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                           Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                       Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

MK – the Chairman of Wycombe District Council, Suzanne Brown, was very supportive of us at the Art Competition presentation event and MK asked if we could have a meeting with her

MK – we have now only got a few pounds left in the group’s bank account. TT may have contacts who would be willing to sponsor us. MK will contact the person at Bewleys (Alize)

SM – will pursue the idea that Suzanne Brown put forward re: bidding to have our group added to the beneficiaries of the new Wycombe Lottery

SK – we have been invited to hold a stall at next year’s open garden event in Radnage. Also Wycombe Arts Society has asked if we could help source FT biscuits for their meetings. SK passed on local Traidcraft reps contact details.

MK – has written to Rebellion Brewery to suggest the idea of a FT beer. They sent back a supportive e-mail. MK has asked them if we could put their logo on our material.

MK – it is disappointing re: Sainsburys bringing out its own version of Fairtrade tea/coffee. However, Waitrose, Lidl & Co-op have continued supporting FT.

BS – we could contact Sainsbury’s and ask them to give an account of how the ‘premium’ money has been spent.

JM – we could contact local companies and ask if they would be willing to sponsor us and we could offer to put their logos on our material

MK – his niece worked for Windsor & Eton brewery and they are very community-minded. They supply the Royal Standard in Forty Green. She is going to ask if they would be willing to sponsor us. There was a company in Kent that brewed Fairtrade beer.

SM – we could ask Bewleys if they would be willing to donate £100(?) per year to us.

JM – suggests we could set up a meeting with the managing director of Bewleys, who is based locally

MK – it would be good to get a re-statement of Wycombe DC’s support at some point.

The possibility of a market stall could be investigated again.

BS – thinks that the market is organised by a private company.

SK – the Wycombe Harvest event that we had a stall at, was organised by BidsCo

MK – re: the retailers in Wycombe – he has found out that the Red Squirrel Co does not use FT tea or coffee. There are various hotels and B & B’s in Wycombe but it is difficult to get to know if they use FT at all.

SM – we could ask Bewleys if they supply stock to any hotel vending machines in Wycombe.

MK – if JM’s friend from Sweden comes over we could use him to help us establish a link with Adam’s Park.

MK – we need to ensure that WFF is represented at as many local events as possible

SM – Suzanne Brown seemed to indicate she may be willing to donate some money towards helping us with public liability insurance

SK – maybe we could hold our presentation event next year in council offices

JM – has been updating our Facebook page with our latest news.

SM – re: local press – it may be a good idea to try Bucks Advertiser/Examiner next time, instead of Bucks Free Press

MK – re: establishing a link with producers in the developing world

JM – still has a link with a manager at Liberation Nuts who may be able to act as a link with producer groups

JM – re: the next FT Towns conference – it will be in Europe in September and he hopes to attend.

JM – in our evidence for applying for FT Town status renewal, we can say that we have supported the petitions against Sainsburys

SK – re: next Tuesday’s event – set-up is 6-6.45pm and doors open at 7pm. There will be a FT stall (stock from David Sparks). Ivan thinks that about 30 people will be coming.

BS – will be leading the worship at the Avenue and will be talking about the FT footballs and showing a video about it.

Next meeting: provisional date of 31/07/17 – to be confirmed by Mike