Yearly Archives: 2017

Meeting of 26th October 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting:   26th October 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                          Bob Smith

Sheena King                      Maggie Smith

Sarah Moroz                     Tony Thornby

Jhon Munoz

MK – re: Sainsbury’s ‘Fairly Traded’ tea – this dis-empowers the growers. This was talked about at the National Supporters Conference – Oxfam and the Co-op gave very good speeches against it. The FT Foundation has been moving away from the certification procedure and seem to be concentrating more on trade deals. They took more of a middle stance at the conference (Sainsbury’s are still a big seller of FT, even apart from the change with their tea). There is a day of action against Sainsbury’s on Saturday. MK suggests that we should write a letter to the manager at Sainsbury’s, High Wycombe.

JM – there is a template for a letter on the FT Found’n website. The change to the Sainsbury’s tea may be the ‘thin end of the wedge’ and other products may follow.

TT – asks whether the general public really understands the effect of Sainsbury’s action on the FT premium.

SM – suggests that we all look at the template letter before Saturday and e-mail to SM any suggested changes. Then anyone who can make it, meet at Sainsbury’s at 10am and hand the letter in to the manager there.

JM – Barbara Gwinnett, the chair of the NCC (National Campaigner Committee) was at the conference – she orchestrated the Change.org petition against Sainsbury’s. Also at the conference there was a talk about a FT producers’ group in Ghana where the premium has paid for the workers to be bussed in.

MK – was very impressed by the session led by Catherine Davison of the FT Found’n – Head of Innovation. There was talk of using social media and new technology. She went through the 9 sustainability goals

MK – the FT Found’n have been talking to Nespresso.

JM – FT gold was also discussed at the conference. There is an exhibition of photos that can be hired. The situation for miners is worse than that for farmers helped by FT.

JM – his contact in CLAC is moving to another co-operative in November but he has contacted JM to say that there are 3 or 4 FT towns being created in Latin America. It would also be good to have a link with our council.

MK – would need to have a meeting with Suzanne Brown (Chair of Wycombe DC) to discuss how our council could be involved.

SM – there are two possibilities – a link with a FT town in Latin America and a link with a producer group

MK – we could invite the High Commissioner of St Vincent to present our renewal certificate

JM – suggested the setting up of a ‘Twinning’ or ‘Partnership’ arrangement between FT towns

TT – we need to know what the aims or expectations of such a set-up would be. With the current twinning relationship between English and European towns, the geographical nearness means that exchange visits can take place.

MK – it would be interesting to know where Bewley’s coffee comes from.

JM – will share a link to an article on this ‘twinning’ idea from the International FT conference in Germany earlier this year and will also ask his contact, Marco, what ideas he has about the twinning arrangements

SM – perhaps we could give some thought to having an exhibition of the FT gold photographs etc

TT – Beaverbrooks may want to have some involvement

SK – she is on the Mission team at Christ the Servant King and has asked if we could have another grant of £250. Their Chairperson, Heather Searle, has asked to have copies of our minutes. SK has also done an article for the Booker issue of their church magazine.

SK –  will investigate the public liability insurance arrangement that has been set up by the FT Found’n with ‘Case Insurance’ for groups to get insurance

BS – had a look on the FT schools website and Highcrest School is listed as ‘impending’ for FT status.

SM – if we manage to arrange a talk from a producer, we could do this jointly with Highcrest

MK – for FT Fortnight next year, we could ask for a slot on Wycombe Sound’ again.

TT – re: producing and updating our website – we would need to sort out content.

Next meeting:   Monday 27th Nov / Tuesday 28th Nov   TBC

Meeting of 26th September 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 26th September 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                         Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                     Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

SM – will e-mail Claire Booth to see if she would still like to receive our minutes

MK – the Volunteer Co-ordinator and FT liaison at Bucks New Uni, Rebecca Haymer, sends her apologies

SM – the ‘Population Matters’ event went well for us and SK’s talk was extremely good

MK – the text of SK’s talk was sent to the FT Foundation as part of our renewal application. We are still waiting to hear back from the FT Foundation – should be soon.

JM – has been in contact with Marco Coscione, a member of the Latin American and Caribbean network of FT small-producers and workers (CLAC). Marco used to work for the FT Advocacy office in Brussels. JM has talked to Marco about us having contact with a producer group in the developing world

SK – we could maybe also involve the Chesham group in this contact, as we are quite small. We could share stories of our experience with retailers here and use social media to communicate.

MK – is going to the national supporters’ conference on October 7th, together with JM. It is worrying re: the Sainsbury’s decision to change to their own ‘Fairly Traded’ tea. MK feels that the way to tackle it would be to support the other retailers who are sticking with FT – Waitrose, Co-op etc. It will be good to discuss this at the conference. There has been an advert on TV for Nescafe, saying that they look after the growers but without the FT certification.

BS – the buying of FT is still down to the consumer

SM – the FT Foundation hasn’t got the financial clout of the large companies to promote their goods

SK – the fight against Sainsbury’s has been taken up by WI, Oxfam etc as well

SM – longer-term aim of support for growers is to have more of the processing taking place in the country of origin

JM – there is a company based in Dublin who have developed the processing of their coffee in the country of origin ‘Proudly Made in Africa’

MK – re: the problems we have had with public liability insurance – this could be discussed at the supporters’ conference

SM – maybe we could have some future events in council-owned buildings and see if they would waive the public liability insurance

MK – re: funding in general – perhaps we should ask Bewleys to sponsor us in some way or maybe to sponsor a flower bed in the town

JM – will ask at the conference if it is possible to arrange a speaker from a producer country

SK – it would be good to have a meeting following the conference to enable MK and JM to report back

SK – we could approach Matt Knight to ask re: the possibility of holding our presentation event in a council building and ask if we would be covered for public liability insurance

MK – it would be good to get TT’s input re: improving the website and trying to get sponsors

Next meeting:    Thursday 19th or 26th October TBC

Meeting of 26th September 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 26th September 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                         Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                     Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

SM – will e-mail Claire Booth to see if she would still like to receive our minutes

MK – the Volunteer Co-ordinator and FT liaison at Bucks New Uni, Rebecca Haymer, sends her apologies

SM – the ‘Population Matters’ event went well for us and SK’s talk was extremely good

MK – the text of SK’s talk was sent to the FT Foundation as part of our renewal application. We are still waiting to hear back from the FT Foundation – should be soon.

JM – has been in contact with Marco Coscione, a member of the Latin American and Caribbean network of FT small-producers and workers (CLAC). Marco used to work for the FT Advocacy office in Brussels. JM has talked to Marco about us having contact with a producer group in the developing world

SK – we could maybe also involve the Chesham group in this contact, as we are quite small. We could share stories of our experience with retailers here and use social media to communicate.

MK – is going to the national supporters’ conference on October 7th, together with JM. It is worrying re: the Sainsbury’s decision to change to their own ‘Fairly Traded’ tea. MK feels that the way to tackle it would be to support the other retailers who are sticking with FT – Waitrose, Co-op etc. It will be good to discuss this at the conference. There has been an advert on TV for Nescafe, saying that they look after the growers but without the FT certification.

BS – the buying of FT is still down to the consumer

SM – the FT Foundation hasn’t got the financial clout of the large companies to promote their goods

SK – the fight against Sainsbury’s has been taken up by WI, Oxfam etc as well

SM – longer-term aim of support for growers is to have more of the processing taking place in the country of origin

JM – there is a company based in Dublin who have developed the processing of their coffee in the country of origin ‘Proudly Made in Africa’

MK – re: the problems we have had with public liability insurance – this could be discussed at the supporters’ conference

SM – maybe we could have some future events in council-owned buildings and see if they would waive the public liability insurance

MK – re: funding in general – perhaps we should ask Bewleys to sponsor us in some way or maybe to sponsor a flower bed in the town

JM – will ask at the conference if it is possible to arrange a speaker from a producer country

SK – it would be good to have a meeting following the conference to enable MK and JM to report back

SK – we could approach Matt Knight to ask re: the possibility of holding our presentation event in a council building and ask if we would be covered for public liability insurance

MK – it would be good to get TT’s input re: improving the website and trying to get sponsors

Next meeting:    Thursday 19th or 26th October TBC

Meeting of 11th July 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 11th July 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Mike King                           Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                       Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

MK – the Chairman of Wycombe District Council, Suzanne Brown, was very supportive of us at the Art Competition presentation event and MK asked if we could have a meeting with her

MK – we have now only got a few pounds left in the group’s bank account. TT may have contacts who would be willing to sponsor us. MK will contact the person at Bewleys (Alize)

SM – will pursue the idea that Suzanne Brown put forward re: bidding to have our group added to the beneficiaries of the new Wycombe Lottery

SK – we have been invited to hold a stall at next year’s open garden event in Radnage. Also Wycombe Arts Society has asked if we could help source FT biscuits for their meetings. SK passed on local Traidcraft reps contact details.

MK – has written to Rebellion Brewery to suggest the idea of a FT beer. They sent back a supportive e-mail. MK has asked them if we could put their logo on our material.

MK – it is disappointing re: Sainsburys bringing out its own version of Fairtrade tea/coffee. However, Waitrose, Lidl & Co-op have continued supporting FT.

BS – we could contact Sainsbury’s and ask them to give an account of how the ‘premium’ money has been spent.

JM – we could contact local companies and ask if they would be willing to sponsor us and we could offer to put their logos on our material

MK – his niece worked for Windsor & Eton brewery and they are very community-minded. They supply the Royal Standard in Forty Green. She is going to ask if they would be willing to sponsor us. There was a company in Kent that brewed Fairtrade beer.

SM – we could ask Bewleys if they would be willing to donate £100(?) per year to us.

JM – suggests we could set up a meeting with the managing director of Bewleys, who is based locally

MK – it would be good to get a re-statement of Wycombe DC’s support at some point.

The possibility of a market stall could be investigated again.

BS – thinks that the market is organised by a private company.

SK – the Wycombe Harvest event that we had a stall at, was organised by BidsCo

MK – re: the retailers in Wycombe – he has found out that the Red Squirrel Co does not use FT tea or coffee. There are various hotels and B & B’s in Wycombe but it is difficult to get to know if they use FT at all.

SM – we could ask Bewleys if they supply stock to any hotel vending machines in Wycombe.

MK – if JM’s friend from Sweden comes over we could use him to help us establish a link with Adam’s Park.

MK – we need to ensure that WFF is represented at as many local events as possible

SM – Suzanne Brown seemed to indicate she may be willing to donate some money towards helping us with public liability insurance

SK – maybe we could hold our presentation event next year in council offices

JM – has been updating our Facebook page with our latest news.

SM – re: local press – it may be a good idea to try Bucks Advertiser/Examiner next time, instead of Bucks Free Press

MK – re: establishing a link with producers in the developing world

JM – still has a link with a manager at Liberation Nuts who may be able to act as a link with producer groups

JM – re: the next FT Towns conference – it will be in Europe in September and he hopes to attend.

JM – in our evidence for applying for FT Town status renewal, we can say that we have supported the petitions against Sainsburys

SK – re: next Tuesday’s event – set-up is 6-6.45pm and doors open at 7pm. There will be a FT stall (stock from David Sparks). Ivan thinks that about 30 people will be coming.

BS – will be leading the worship at the Avenue and will be talking about the FT footballs and showing a video about it.

Next meeting: provisional date of 31/07/17 – to be confirmed by Mike

Meeting of 23rd May 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 23rd May 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Claire Booth             Sarah Moroz

Mike King                  Bob Smith

Sheena King

SM – gave update on the schools art competition

MK – re: review of the Aims and Objectives 2015 -2017

Still need to find out if the council serve Fairtrade tea and coffee etc. Perhaps ask Matt or speak to Wycombe District Council procurement officer

Wycombe BidsCo are coming up for renewal – it may not survive?

Also one of their major donors is Bucks New Uni which has financial problems

SM – perhaps we could get posters/info put in the community/council notice boards

CB – we could ask if Bewleys would be willing to sponsor a roundabout sign. CB used to work at the Newlands site of BNU and they had links with the Chiltern Chamber of Commerce.

CB – has asked Bewleys for a raffle prize but they haven’t got back to her yet.

MK – there are not so many manufacturing companies in Wycombe now

BS – there are a few furniture companies still in the town

CB – will ask her contacts in the High Wycombe Rotary group to see if they know any local companies who use or want to use FT goods in their staff canteens etc

SK – there is an article on Ruby Moon in the latest BidCo magazine

MK – is going to a meeting with the BNU FT group at the end of June. Amy Howe is no longer there. There is a lady who has replaced her but we don’t have e-mail contact with her yet. BNU did the FT volleyball event again in this year’s FT Fortnight plus a swap shop/stall. They sell a lot of FT wine in their bar and their sports shirts are FT cotton.

There is also a new Co-op on the site of the old Squirrel pub in Downley

Re: lists of B&Bs, hostels, hotels etc – not been successful with these so far but we have increased our liaison with other local groups such as Wycombe Friends of the Earth

SK – re: F of E film evening on 18th July – asked CB if the Rotary group would like to have some leaflets etc on the Women in Coffee campaign or if CB would like to say a few words on the evening. The film is about empowering women

MK – is planning to re-design our website, together with JM and TT

CB – suggests maybe having a social event to raise awareness of FT or perhaps get new members

MK – someone suggested that we could approach the Rebellion brewery to have a special FT beer (containing FT sugar/honey/vanilla)

SK – wondering if we could get JM’s picture in the local press, having run the Edinburgh marathon for the FT cashew nut project

CB – will try to investigate the rationale behind the FT Foundation website saying that the public liability insurance is up to the local groups

Next meeting:   Tuesday 11th July

Meeting of 27th April 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 27th April 2017

Avenue Methodist Church, Rutland Avenue

Those present:

Claire Booth (Volunteering Officer for FT Foundation + International Chair of Maidenhead Bridge Rotary Club)

Mike King                          Jhon Munoz

Sarah Moroz                     Bob Smith

Apologies: Tony Thornby + Sheena King

MK – welcome to CB + discussed some of our past activities

SM – gave an update on the FT t-shirt art competition for schools

CB – there are about 100 staff in the FT Foundation office and about 20/30  volunteers who are mainly new graduates trying to get experience or people who are changing jobs/careers. Usually they volunteer for 1-3 days per week eg. in the media, finance, IT or commercial departments. CB looks after these volunteers and works on recruitment, induction etc

MK – asked about the National Conference which was mentioned on the FT Foundation website but has now been changed to a Regional Supporters Conferences

CB – will get an update for us if possible. There has just been a restructure at Head Office. Chrissy Demacki has temporarily taken on Rachael Sweet’s job (looking after towns) + Joe Harrison is looking after schools. Adam Gardner is Chrissy D’s manager

MK – has the FT goodies from Peros/Bewleys

JM- has a contact at Divine – may be able to get some donations of chocolate for prizes

SM – discussed venues for the art competition presentation ceremony. Has looked at a function room in the library and at the Guild Hall. Recommends the Guild Hall.

MK – re: our problem with public liability insurance and how it had prevented us having a stall at Pann Mill

CB – re: the Rotary club quiz on June 10th – half the proceeds will be going to the FT Growing Women in Coffee project and half towards the polio eradication campaign

JM – his contact from Sweden hasn’t got a date yet for his visit to the UK

MK – as part of our next set of objectives we can try to get FT catering at Wycombe Wanderers + the Swan Theatre

MK – discussed the problems we have had with getting road signs stating Wycombe is a Fairtrade town

BS – talked about how he has been trying to get the flower bed outside the Town Hall to be FT themed

MK – SK has been contacted by Ivan at Wycombe Friends of the Earth. They are showing a film on Tuesday 18th July at Arts4Everyone. Also there is the Hamilton Fair. We may be able to have a stall at either of these.

SM – asked the group to e-mail to SM re: numbers for the quiz night on June 10th and then SM will contact CB to let her know.

JM – re: date for art competition presentation – probably best to avoid half-term week (Sat 27th May and Saturday 3rd June). Also on June 17th it is ‘Downley Day’ and probably best to avoid this also.

SM – suggest that we aim for the presentation taking place on June 24th.

Next meeting: Tuesday 23rd May

 

Meeting of 28th March 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 28th March 2017

Micklefield Library, Micklefield Road

 

Those present:

Mike King                      Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                  Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz                 Tony Thornby

JM – showed Bala balls, leaflets and posters

MK – has sent £50 to Wycombe Sound for the air-time that we had + felt that it was good value for money. We now have about £113 left in our account.

SM – need to look on the WS website and download the interview that took place with the lady from Ruby Moon

BS – thinks it took place on the Thursday of the 1st week of FT Fortnight

JM – asked whether we have any status as a group (charity status etc) so we can ask for funding.

SM – FT Foundation is a charity but our individual group hasn’t got a specific status.

SK – we could have got money off the cost of the banner if we had charity status

MK – felt that WS was really useful for informing people about FT, particularly as we have had problems in the past with the Bucks Free.

MK – has tried to get the ‘We stock Fairtrade Here’ stickers into shop windows and has also left some of our leaflets at WS.

TT – the coverage of WS seems to be fairly large area

JM – has been listening to WS and feels they are engaging with local groups

MK – WS cannot monitor how many listeners they have. The potential is 130,000.

MK – over the last 18 months there have been 5 new caterers and 2 new retailers added to our list of FT suppliers in the town. The cafe at the Sports Centre is council-run and must have been put out to tender and it serves FT. Someone may have had an influence. The Co-op at Downley and the cafe at M&S had a good, prominent push on FT during FT fortnight.

MK – has put more copies of our directory leaflet in the tourist information centre and in the library. Lush have some cosmetics etc which are Fair Trade but not Fairtrade.

JM – there is an organisation in the Netherlands which organises Fair Trade products. They don’t do the Fairtrade premium but do have environmental standards etc.

SM – showed the ‘Fairtrade Cocoa Program’ logo on a Panettone box – this means that it doesn’t have to fulfil the criterion that ‘all ingredients which can be FT must be FT’.

MK – will send out the ‘Aims and Objectives 2015 – 2017’ document to the group so we can see what has been achieved. We haven’t got very far with the road signs but there are still plans for Bucks New Uni to paint the underpass + include ‘Wycombe is a Fairtrade Town’ on the painting. We need to think about our Aims & Objectives for the next 2 year period.

JM – a man from Wycombe, who now lives in Sweden, has been in touch via Facebook + has asked whether Wycombe Wanderers (who he supports) has any FT connection eg. in their cafe. This man may be visiting Wycombe soon and perhaps we can meet up. He runs a Fairtrade shop in Sweden.

MK – Sweden is a Fairtrade country

SM – it would be interesting to know how obvious the FT profile is in Sweden

SM – gave an update re: the schools competition. Need to fix a date for judging the entries and arranging the presentation ceremony.

MK – when we get the renewal certificate it would be good to hold the presentation ceremony in council offices or the town hall.

SM – suggested 18/04/17 for us to get together to judge the art competition – this would be at Bob’s church (Avenue Methodist church)

TT – talked about three different options for a website design as per his e-mail.

MK – we need to work out a good navigation structure. We can look at the websites of other FT groups.

SK – there is another event at Pann Mill on May 14th.

TT – has prompted his contact at MRIB insurance again and someone did phone TT and ask for information. He is waiting to hear if they would be willing to help us with the insurance.

SK – the lady at Pann Mill has said that we could help with the Friends of the Earth stall but would need insurance to have our own stall.

JM – re: the FT art competition presentation, we could invite the headteachers.

SM – will enquire at various possible venues in the town eg. Library, Arts4Everyone, Adams Park, Bucks New Uni, Sports Centre. Perhaps we could invite the mayor to present the prizes?

MK – we could invite WS to cover it

MK – next year, we could perhaps get coverage on WS for individual producer stories during FT Fortnight.

Next meeting:   Tuesday 18th April to judge FT art competition at Avenue Methodist Church

Meeting of 14th February 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 14th February 2017

Micklefield Library, Micklefield Road

Those present:

Mike King                        Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                    Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

MK – has written a £50 cheque as a donation to Wycombe Sound. Has also printed out the final version of the leaflet listing retailers etc and it now has the Wycombe Sound, Bucks New Uni and Peros/Bewleys logos on the front. He will take it to Peros to get some decent copies done and they can then be put in the library, tourist information office, Oxfam, Avenue Methodist church, community noticeboards in supermarkets etc.

Each person then read out their ‘Fairtrade Facts’ for the Wycombe Sound slots and they were timed. The ten articles will be on: the Fairtrade Mark, tea, cocoa, coffee, nuts, wine, bananas, flowers, footballs and gold.

MK – re: prizes for the FT art competition. The company (Bala) cannot give free footballs but we can get 30% discount during FT Fortnight. This would mean that they would be about £8 each.

SM  – has had responses from 2 schools so far:- Oakridge and Beechview (via Emma Styles who was our contact at Hamilton last year and is now at Beechview). There will be 2 winners, one for Year 5 and one for Year 6.

JM – suggested that the footballs could be given to the schools as a whole.

SM – the individual winners would have their design printed on a T-shirt.

MK – plus some FT goodies from Peros/Bewleys

MK – re: the interview for Wycombe Sound on 22nd February with JM/MK – suggested sending some questions to Wycombe Sound in advance.

  1. How does FT fit in with free trade?

What are the benefits for consumers?

What are the benefits for producers?

Suggested we include the fact that 70% of the world’s food comes from small-scale producers. Buyers need to look to the longer term and look after their suppliers. Also need to talk about our group and ask for more members.

MK – Ruby Moon have agreed to be interviewed. Also Matt Knight.

SK – Wycombe Friends of the Earth are doing a film on March 29th and she is thinking of going. It is at the Quaker meeting house.

SK – has sent a piece to her church’s newsletter to give them an update on our use of their £250 donation.

Next meeting: Tuesday 28th March

Meeting of 17th January 2017

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 17th January 2017

Micklefield Library, Micklefield Road

 

Those present:

Mike King                           Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                       Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

Amy How sends her apologies

MK – showed the leaflet he has put together to advertise our group and with a listing of retailers etc. Wycombe Sound have given us permission to use their logo + also to put some leaflets in their foyer. Perhaps we could also put our banner in their foyer when we’re not using it?

SM – gave account of what happened at Mayor’s carol concert – it was short notice but was ok on the night. We provided teas/coffees/squash and the town clerk (Paul Deacon) provided mince pies donated by local supermarkets. We used our banner and put leaflets on the tables. Paul gave us £50 as a donation to our funds. It was difficult to find any evidence of the event being advertised beforehand.

MK – we could use our contact with Wycombe Sound to advertise things in future

SM – talked about schools competition – no response yet

MK – will be speaking to Louise at Peros/Bewleys re: donations for prizes for the schools competition and the Bucks New Uni tombola

JM – is trying to contact a company re: Fairtrade footballs as donations for prizes

SK – re: MK/SK meeting at Wycombe Sound on 4th January. The lady there, Pippa, has suggested an interview slot in the week before Fairtrade Fortnight,  on 22nd February. Also we could have a 60-90 slot each weekday during the Fortnight when some facts about FT could be read out (prepared by ourselves but read out by the DJ). Wycombe Sound are also willing to prepare a jingle for us.

MK – broadcast goes out as far as Denham, Stokenchurch, Beaconsfield

MK – during the meeting, Wycombe Sound did an advert for Ruby Moon. Over FT Fortnight they are willing to do interviews with 3 local businesses. MK has suggested Matt Knight (Hills Cafe), Peros/Bewleys and Ruby Moon. Wycombe Sound has only been going since 31/10/16.

SK – suggested that WS should speak to Wycombe Post Office as they normally have a radio playing and it’s one of the larger stations.

MK – suggested that we give a £50 donation to WS. They are a community organisation.

BS – for the 10 slots of FT facts, it would be good to highlight products other than tea & coffee eg. FT footballs etc

MK –re: our funds – should we be giving any donations to the FT Foundation?

BS – we could set a limit to funds in our bank account and anything above this we could give to the FT Foundation

JM – contacted Rachael at the FT Foundation about booking a date to have a speaker from one of the FT producer groups but we are too late for this year’s speaker. We could get our name down for 2018 though. What event would we suggest that such a speaker could come to?

MK – maybe something at BNU

SK – we could use our contacts with schools to organise an event for a speaker to go to

BS – will advertise WS radio at his church. Also he could see if the children’s group at his church would like to enter the T-shirt competition

SM – will e-mail the schools letter to BS (+ to ignore the age restriction for the church group)

MK – talked about planned events for FT Fortnight at BNU:- Wine & Cheese evening, FT Fashion event, FT bananas pledge tree, FT sports packs, volley ball event, Smile event (like last year). Janet Goodman has sourced some ethically traded beads from India for a jewellery-making event

JM – has contacts at Downley school PTA + can give the schools T-shirt competition info to them so that they can liaise with the headteacher about it

SM – will e-mail this info to JM

Next meeting:  Tuesday 14th February 2017

Meeting of 15th November 2016

WYCOMBE FOR FAIRTRADE

Minutes of meeting: 15th November 2016

Micklefield Library, Micklefield Road

Those present:

Mike King                         Jhon Munoz

Sheena King                     Bob Smith

Sarah Moroz

MK – has received the first bank statement from Barclays. Currently there is £170 in the account. He attended the Bucks New Uni Fairtrade committee last Thursday. Amy How was there, also Jenny Wade (executive officer for student learning) and the person who did the jewellery making last FT Fortnight (Janet Goodman). MK showed listing of BNU’s suggestions for FT Fortnight. In 2017 this will not clash at all with the other BNU fundraising week. Suggestions include: Wine & Cheese evening, FT quiz evening, repeat of jewellery making with recycled glass, FT fashion show, Fondu party with FT chocolate and FT fruit. They will still do the FT volleyball event. Also may get FT donations for a hamper which will then be raffled.

BNU hoodies etc are currently FT. Janet Goodman suggested that the museum would be a good place to hold an exhibition. The shop ‘Ruby Moon’ in Castle Street may also be a useful link (we could set up an exhibition there?) – they sell FT crafts.

If we had an event at BNU, we would be covered by their insurance. MK will ask Peros/Bewleys for donations of choc muffins etc.

MK/SK – attended the Wycombe Environment Centre AGM on Saturday. The WEC is moving to premises in Lance Way, in combination with another group. It may be a new-build. It has a garden – all based on community projects. Don’t know move date yet. The new premises would not be in centre of town but the costs in the Chiltern shopping Centre were too high. One of BNU’s energy officers is on the committee for WEC. Hamish is not part of WEC anymore. There are now 4 on the board of trustees rather than 7. Frances Alexander is still there. Ivan is also on the board.

MK – Matt Knight has asked if we would like to do the catering for the Mayor’s carol concert – not sure on date of this.

SM – will get in touch with the contact given by MKn to get further details.

SM – presented ideas for the FT Schools competition. Plan is to ask Years 5 and 6 to design a T-shirt and the winning designs would hopefully then be printed on FT cotton.

JM – suggested he may be able to get some FT footballs which could be given as prizes to the winning schools.

MK/SK – have talked to the new manager of the Oxfam shop. May be an idea to have an event at the shop (chocolate tasting?).

MK – could perhaps hold an event in All Saints FT cafe.

SK – talked about the FT Fortnight theme ‘It’s time to put Fairtrade in Your Break’ and pointed out an article from Wycombe District Council about Wycombe radio being brought back. Suggested having small information snippets on FT that we could have broadcast during FT Fortnight.

MK – BNU are talking about producing a leaflet promoting local retailers that stock FT. MK showed a sheet listing Wycombe retailers and their products which he based on the one produced by St Andrews FT group in Scotland.

Next meeting:  To be arranged